Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Free form Poetry

The rocker softly squeaks a protest as
she sinks into its soft embrace.
As she skims
the surface of sleep,
she bares her breast
for this babe
created in her image.
She hums a familiar lullabye
in harmony with the
rocker's own hymn,
gentle creaks not voiced
when mother was daughter.
Echoes of tenderness
reaching back
generations
heard by all mothers once daughters.

4 comments:

Rebekii said...

This sweet poem certainly speaks to me - and of a time I am currently living. I like the connection between mothers you make and the idea of transition. It is especially poignant to me because it is during those tender hours nursing that I look at my sweet daughter and wonder what her life as a woman and mother might be like. Anyway, thank you.

Liv said...

Wow!
I've never been a mom, but this poem is just beautiful!
I like how the squeaks of the rocker are an integral part of the mother singing to her daughter. My sis is in the other room rocking her new baby--makes this poem very timely for me.

Heather said...

I agree that this poem is beautiful. One of my favorite times with all three of my boys has been rocking/nursing as it is one of the only times they are completely mine and during which I have time to think about past/future.

Bonnie said...

There's so much I love about this verse. Sinks into its soft embrace... just as the baby sinks into the mother's breast. The rocker's own hymn...

The last 4 lines are the best.

I noticed that where the lines end rock back and forth as well.